Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Thanksgiving Makeover

Good morning, it's a little chilly start here in the gold ole' midwest.  Just about like it should be in the Fall.  I wrangled my kiddos onto the bus and fed them some oatmeal, peanut butter toast for my son and some strawberries.  I'm enjoying my coffee and blogs and then I'm off to take my Aunt to the bank and enjoy some more coffee.  LOL!

My DH and I changed our family room around as I mentioned before and I thought I would change up my mantle a little bit for Thanksgiving.  I love Fall the most! I do love Christmas but I won't be decorating until after Thanksgiving.  We really do have a lot to be thankful for this year.  A new home, being close to family and old friends. 




 I added some cornucopias to my mantle and some turkeys.



this little sign too




This little scarecrow I picked up for 20% off at a new shop I discovered that I'll tell you more about later.




This little gathering is in my hallway on top of my sewing machine. 




I did have the bakers cabinet in here and you could just barely squeeze by so my DH put up my mitten chest shelf that I've had for ages and it still looked a little bare so I pulled this sewing machinge out of my guest room to frame it.  What do you all think?? The door on the right houses coats and my vacuum cleaner.  The door frame to the left is the main floor bathroom.



This is the new arrangement.  We moved the cabinet next to the fireplace.  It was in the little hallway where the sewing machine is now (see above picture) I'm not sure about this arrangement at all but you know how it is the furniture can only be placed curtain ways.  I think it detracts from the fireplace as a focal point. This house seemed so big when we bought it.  LOL!  We have discussed buying a big screen TV for the downstairs media room and if we do all our furniture may go down there and I may get some fancy sitting room furniture for this room.  Sound neat?? Ah...at least a girl can dream.   I would love to get some Johnston Benchworks furniture.

Have a great day and don't forget two more days for my give away surprise!  Scroll down or leave me a comment only one entry per person, please.

Carey

11 comments:

  1. I love your fireplace!
    I bet it keeps the house warm and cozy on a cold winters night!
    The fun part of being a homeowner is all the tweaking that we get to do!
    Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking really great in your new home Carey. I love the old sewing machine cabinet. Something I have always wanted in my home.
    Enjoy your day,
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks nice. 20% in a Honey and Me stuff, is great! Items from that company are beautiful but expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful and ever so cozy... just love it. My grandmother had a sewing machine JUST like that, we had it in our home for years, but I think my parents eventually sold it. I would love to have that old machine today. It has a foot throttle right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, Carey. I have an antique sewing machine & I love it. It still works, LOL. It's in a corner in my bedroom. Love your little added Thanksgiving touches.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks great!!!Im glad your settling in. It will be so nice for the holidays.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Miss Carey, Everything looks like it is coming together just beautifully! Your new home is just georgeous! I love your holiday decor, I have the same thanksgiving sign with the pumpkin (yes the sign maker buys signs sometimes too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carey everything looks great! Have a nice day:)Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything look just perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your fireplace is awesome.
    I love how you have placed everything. your home is so warm and comfortable!
    Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your decorating style! All the things I love. I'm going to look for a place mat to put under my Fall things. That looks nice!

    ReplyDelete