Saturday, June 4, 2011

Vintage Kitchen Decorating & Family

Hello, bloggers!  It seems that I have gotten busier not working for the past few weeks?? I guess it's that crazy time of year.  My children are out of school now.  We just finished up dance recitals and awards programs this week.  It was so neat to see my girl up on stage.  She did a great job! I'm proud of her.  Also, she finished up testing and will be in Excel next year for sixth grade.  I knew she should be in this program.  My son's first year was last year.  It's been more challenging for him, but I feel in a good way.  They do things with the older grade and a faster pace.  My son did some reading and science with the 4th grade class this year.  It's been good for him.  I'm glad that she will be in it too since it's difficult for one to be in and the other not.  She is able to read on a 8.6 reading level.  Not to mention she is a terrific writer.  Math may be a bit of a challenge for her but I think it will be worth it. 

I've been inspired by the new and improved  Better Homes and Garden's Website.  Tommorrow I will go see my beloved Aunt P. who had to downsize unfortunately due to her mobility.  She is now in a Nursing Home.  She wants me to have her quilt and a few of her things.  I'm hoping to be able to use it in my guest room. I love her and treasure her.  It's hard to see her there.  I try to visit her often to cheer her up the best I can.  I love when she tells me stories from her childhood and my mom.  I used to go to work with her when I was little at the Coke factory.  Nothing better than Coke in a bottle.  She also knew how to set a table.  The woman was a great hostess.  When I used to go to her apartment for lunch, at 91 she still wanted me to set the table for sub sandwiches.  I love that about her!  They broke the mold with her that's for sure.  She is still sharp as a tack too!



I love the crispness of the white contrasted with the blue, red and white checked!




I just love all the jars of homemade goodies in the cupboard.  Did you get your garden planted?  We finally did!  My strawberries are coming on too, I'll share more with you later on that.
 

Wouldn't you just love to eat on this porch?


I really love the hydrangeas in this picture.  Can anyone give me a resource for them?  I look in gardening places and I only see the white ones. 

Great storage idea!

Hope you're having a splendid weekend,
Enjoy!

Carey

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hon,

    I know what you mean about being busy. Once the weather gets nice I am so inspired by the beauty all around that I go crazy fixing things up around my cozy little cottage.

    I love these ideas....I have done a lot of painting around the house and white has been the theme...makes everything bright and clean looking. I did paint two walls in my living room a pretty Mediterranean blue that I just love.

    Anyway, I just wanted to stop over for a chat. Don't you just love being a happy homemaker!

    Kisses,
    JennyMay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful inspiration photos!
    TFS,
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carey.. I have the same oak pedestal table like you have - used to have the chairs but I use ladder backs these days.. I too have longed for a farmhouse table but the main thing keeping me from it is I think how can I get rid of the perfectly good, well made oak table? and use something not as nicely made? Have you ever given that thought? I inadvertently inherited the oak table from my husband's family.. so it was not my pick.. although it is very pretty.. I refinished it about a year and a half ago..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these kitchen pictures. They're all so cute and cozy...and colorful. I love color!

    I've never grown hydrangeas before, but I was thinking that I've heard you can add certain things to the soil to change the acidity and it will change the color of the blooms. You could check into that more and see if my memory is correct of if I'm completely off my rocker.

    Thanks for stopping by The Cozy Old Farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete