What's your New Year's Resolution? Did you make one this year? Do you write down goals? Well, I must say I have a few this year. I actually teach a course for new college students that supports this idea. If you write it down you're more likely to achieve your goal. Here's a rule you may want to think about as you ponder your New Year's Goals. Remember DAPPS for short!
1. D - is for DATED Your goals should be dated. (In one month I will _____________)
2. A- is for ACHIEVABLE goals should reflect something that might be a bit challenging but not over the top.
3. P- is for PERSONAL This goal should be something that you alone desire to achieve.
4. P- is for POSITIVE Your goal should include verbs that show the present. In five years I will own my own business.
5. S - is for SPECIFIC The goal should be specific and measurable. For example, I tell my students that instead of stating they wish to pass the class they should be much more specific. (At the end of the semester I will earn an A in Math 118 and be able to understand key concepts for the next math class.)
My 2012 Goals
Personal: At the end of six months I will make new friends and get together for more social events and entertain in my home. I will also commit to having a date night/lunch with my husband at least once a month.
Spiritual: By the end of the year I will join a new bible study, learn more about leadership roles in my church and help with a mission project. Daily: I will commit to read my bible and take part in a study each morning. I will join a group to help with this commitment.
Physical: By my 40th birthday (July 31) I would like to lose 25 lbs, lose several inches from my waistline and be down at least one size in pants.
Mental: By this summer I will enroll and take a few new classes to refresh my teaching skills. After I have taken these classes I will review my options for my career and goals. I will also blog more aiming for at least 2 posts per week :) I will learn more about blogging by reading tutorials and using other bloggers tips. I would like to have 100 followers by March. Whoo HOO!
I'm going to put these in my planner. Each one will have specific smaller steps. I will also look at these goals from time to time to remind myself. This is often a forgotten step for most people.
So what are you doing this year? Will it be full of New Beginnings? Are you ready for a change? You hold the key...really you do. So I say go for it! Go for that A...or new job, enroll in college, try a new craft or hobby, travel, lose weight... YOU CAN DO IT!
What are your goals?? Please leave me a comment or a link to your blog. I'd love to read all about it :)
Blessings to you,