Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Remembering the Past and Weekend Happenings

Good morning!  How was your weekend?  We had a very good one.  It was hard to get back into the full mode this am.  My kiddos have three days left of school.  They are very excited. 


On Saturday we cooked out and had that delicious Strawberry Diner style pie I was telling you I would make.  I used my strawberries from my yard and it turned out great.  I really liked the topping.  I'll post the recipe for that later.  On Sunday we went to the cementary where most of my family is buried.  We had some pretty frank discussions with the kids about how much our country sacrifices and we remembered our loved ones.  We tried to find some of the oldest graves in the cementary and tried to do some rubbings.  The oldest of those were 1847.  My daughter thought is was pretty sad that they had no decorations at all on them.  We explained that all their family was gone too. 




my son puts a flag on my Father's grave who he is named after



My daughter places a flag for a great Uncle who served his country.



Great Grandparents
Defibaugh



Great Great Grandparents
Locke


On Sunday we went to Cincinnati and took back my sewing table to IKEA went to a few more stores for shopping.  I found a Bath and Body works outlet, it was fabulous!!! Very cheap!  Then we ate at bd's Mongolian Barbecue.  My husband and I love those kinda places.  If you've never eaten at one you should check it out there's something for everyone.  My son just loved it!  He really likes watching them grill it.  We also went to Archiver's and it's the best in the scrapbooking world (IMO).  If you're looking for the latest greatest products, there's something for everyone.  I fell in love with a new vintage paper line called Graphic 45.  Another favorite new one is called Homespun Chic by Melody Ross.  Her blog is really neat.  If you thought that scrapbooking and vintage things don't mix check them out.  Even if you're not a scrapbooker many lines have predone pages, books and kits that are simple to put together.  I'm thinking of using some to decorate my new space.   I ended up buying some diecuts from Homespun Chic, Jenni Bowlin, & 7 gypsies various date stickers etc.  Then this line from October Afternoon called Thrift Shop.  I think it would be great to use to feature someone who likes to sew.







Check out more about October Afternoon here

Have a great Tuesday!

Carey

2 comments:

  1. What a great looking pie!! Yummo!
    How nice to go to the cemetary and leave flags!
    Love the idea of doing rubbings on the old headstones!
    Great scrapbooking graphics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmm, that pie sure looks good!
    Have a great week...

    Bear Hugs~Karen

    ReplyDelete