I blogged about this earlier this year. Like many of you I made a goal to be Fit for 2012, not just because it was January or that's when you make resolutions but mainly because I was turning 40. I wanted to feel better, have more energy, be a great example to my kids and husband. The list goes on and on...
I shared in an earlier post what has worked for me. I'm now in a maintenance phase so I have changed and tweaked things a bit. I feel it's important to show you my before and afters and tell you what really was magical for me.
TiPsFirst, let go of negative body image and thoughts. If you want to make progress this is a must!!
2. Make your workout time your priority. No more excuses!! Don't use the mom excuses either, my kids are little they need me, I have to take them to _____ practice. NO, put yourself on that calendar. I don't care how full it is!
3. Clean eating is a must. Don't let your mind play tricks and tell you that you'll work off that donut later etc. That donut will go directly to that fat on your hips or abs and will take a year to work off. Ok...exaggerating a bit here :)
4. Don't let yourself get hungry...plan your snacks and meals and be consistent. Allow yourself to have occasional treats. Pick one meal or snack and that's it!
5. When you've worked really hard and feel like giving up DON'T!!! You know when you hop on the scale and you've been eating very well and working out and you've lost 0 lbs or just 1. This is where most people fall off the deep end.
6. Hope...you gotta have hope or it won't happen. I heard Jillian Michaels recently say this on the Dr. Oz show and I agree with her 100%
7. Find your go to work out that you really love doing, try a little of everything! Then when you're having one of those days this is the work out that you will stick to doing!
Here's my before shot I am sharing with you all... this wasn't easy to do I really hate this picture. It's not from the front but you can really tell. You know when you see yourself from behind...and you think I'm that big? This was my wake up call.
Late summer 2011
weight 162, 5'5" Size 10-12
This shot from the front around the same time. You may remember this one from my give away.
one year later
late summer 2012
Weight 130, Size 4-6
Yeah!!!! I'm so proud of myself because I did it. No one else but me. Here's what worked for me and there's no magic formula. The hard work does pay off. To be honest with you I wasn't sure I would lose it this time last year. It took a whole month and a half to lose anything!!!! I was frustrated. I wanted to give up but I didn't.
Cardio 4-6 x weekly when I was in the losing phase 30 min. walking, 2 -60 min. sessions of Turbo or heart pumping cardio like running etc.
Strength: 2-3 x week Kettle bell is my #1 choice. Weight training is the secret of my success if you want to call it that. It's really very simple the more muscle you have the less fat you have. You gotta pump iron ladies!
Flexibility: Pilates 2x weekly. Yoga is great too.
one day of rest
Diet: High protein, low carbs (whole grain carbs, good carbs), good fats (olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, avocado) Very few processed foods, lots of fruits and veggies. I planned my meals and snacks and once a week I had a treat.
If you want to see more posts about my fitness routine/diet please let me know in the comment section or feel free to ask questions! Love to share :)