Thursday, September 1, 2011

Preserving God's Bounty

Do you ever feel like your world is slowly but certainly spinning out of control?  I thought that this would be wonderful, the start of school for everyone.  A schedule...Turn out it's craZy!  My first week of school was a bumpy one to say the least.  My husband is now working two jobs.  I'm happy that he is working but we now have only two days a week together.  Most nights he doesn't even have time to eat dinner with us.  I really hate that!  He is off rushing from one job to the next.  Then we had two appointments this week.  That didn't help.  I also found out my son needed glasses too.  He isn't quite as bad as my daughter.  We just got her a new prescription and contacts.  So just when I thought we had everything caught up, school fees, supplies, bills etc. wham....one more thing.  Poor guy it's not his fault.  I guess they both take after Dad.  Throw in my garden is really producing tomatoes like crazy and canning and my week was a nightmare. 

Here's what I've been canning:

First I had beets.  My turnips died, not sure why??



next came the tomatoes so I have made diced tomatoes, green beans and whole tomatoes, and marinara


(not my tomatoes)



I've also made several batches of salsa.  My watermelon and cantalope are dying.  They were doing really good and just stopped growing.  I picked one last night and we're eating that one. People at church told me I need sandy soil and dry conditions. 

Gardening reminds me of the scriptures.  Even though I have complained about the timing I am thankful for my garden.  I love being able to reap the harvest of all my labor.  The bounty of the food that follows a long hot, dry summer.  It does remind me though of all the beautiful gifts that God has given to us.  I love the quiet of nature and spending time in the garden.  I think we can grow closer to him by taking some time to reflect upon all the beauty in the everyday. 

How does your garden grow?? As you go about your week I hope you will take time to reflect and enjoy the everyday beauty that surrounds us...have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Blessings,
Carey




1 comment:

  1. Awww Carey :( I'm so sorry to hear this :( My daughter just started Kindergarten and we have been majorly busy the last few weeks. We're still trying to get adjusted to this new schedule. I pray that things start looking up for ya. Good job on the garden! You are doing better then we are. We can't even get our tomatoes to grow :(

    ReplyDelete