Mudroom/Three Reasons Why
1. It doesn't function as a mud room because there is no storage for coats, wet snow clothes, backpacks etc.
2. This is our main entrance for the kids. We can't see the bus from our front door. Everyone else seems to use this door too.
3. When you walk in you might see laundry drying etc. not the best hiding spot. I have no where to hang my unmentionables.
Then the laundry room doesn't work for these reasons.
1. No storage or very little for soap and iron etc. I can't even put the ironing board in here.
2. No place for drying delicates.
3. When laundry does get done it's in the way the doors cause a big mess. (see below) I do laundry everyday so generally I don't get backed up but when I do sheets and towels they don't even fit in the room.
Here's my view from the kitchen
Here's the view as you walk in from the mudroom into the house, the closet you see here originally probably a coat closet. This closet has been converted into a pantry by the previous owners. The green door is off the garage.
This is what you see upon entering the side door, it has one small sink and it's all about the W & D or any rags being dried that you can see I have here in the picture.
See how close the doors are to one another, when you open them they just about bump into one another, not to mention you can't move. Try doing this at 7 am with 2 not so happy kids! Fun, fun!
Here are some of my random thoughts and ideas about this room.
Idea #1 First, take off the door between the kitchen/mudroom one problem is solved. Second add some shelves or cabinets above washer and dryer for extra storage. Move the pantry back to the other side of the kitchen and change the closet back to it's original purpose. I could put hooks inside for backpacks, coats and wet shoes could go in the bottom.
Move the laundry room to the basement and keep the plumbing in tact so later on possibly new owners or myself could once again use it as a laundry room. I may not want to climb stairs when I'm 90. LOL! We have plenty of space down stairs near our furnace area that would make a nice size room where I could hang wash and actually iron if I need to. Then in the mudroom we would fill the empty holes with these lockers from Sawdust City LLC, and at least it would be organized. The pantry could stay or go one way or another we would have just a mudroom this way.
I would love to know what you think, your opinions on any of this, we will probably be doing # 2 after my DH gets back home with us in March. Anybody out there have great ways to disguise all the stuff? I would love to know more about your mudrooms/laundry room issues. Welcome to my new followers, I'm always tickled to see new faces when I visit my dashboard!
Have a great day, don't forget to leave me a comment!